H-1B Visa: Specialty Occupations

Basic Requirement: Bachelor’s or higher degree or its equivalent (foreign degree) is normally the minimum entry requirement for the position.

Required Evidence:

  1. A copy of your U.S. baccalaureate or higher degree;
  2. A copy of your foreign degree which has been determined to the be the equivalent to the U.S. degree;
  3. Copies of evidence of education and experience which could be considered the equivalent to the required U.S. degree;
  4. A copy of any required license or other official permission you will need in order to practice the occupation in the state of your intended employment;
  5. A copy of any written contract between you and your employer or a summary of the terms of any oral agreement under which you will be employed.

Period of Stay: As an H-1B nonimmigrant, you may be admitted for a period of up to three years. Your time period may be extended, but generally cannot go beyond a total of six years, though some exceptions do apply.

Family of H-1B Visa Holders: The spouse and unmarried children under 21 years of age are entitled to H-4 classification. The dependents may not be employed under the H-4 classification.